Monday, April 21, 2014

women, dust, life's detours: a confabulation


women, dust, life’s detours
 
I let shame run rampant (justin
bieber hasn’t got a chance) no
one knew I had a child (a judge
in florida) more a rumor than a
fact (excuse me, judge) I didn’t
have my baby (for may fifteenth)
the time of facebook (driving
while intoxicated) I released her
from her shame (that’s cinco
de mayo) thirty five years is
too long (roll over) we don’t
operate in forgiveness (I’m not
doing this again) they’re more
than enough (to get flat)
 
Source
Cowen, Diane. Jakes Helps Women Navigate Life’s Detours. Houston Chronicle. 21 Apr. 2014. D1, D2.
 
Dustin. Houston Chronicle. 21 Apr. D8.
 
Garfield. Houston Chronicle. 21 Apr. D7
 
Note:

This is an intermingling of quotes from hes and shes. All the quotes from women are taken from the same article. The male quotes are taken from two comic strips from the same section of the newspaper. I did some erasures to smooth out and the conversation spilled from line to line. I quite enjoyed this process.

 
Here is the prompt I was responding to:
 
Craft a conversation poem using “he said/she said” quotes that you find in newspaper articles.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice, the way you made the conversation a series of asides.

Richard Thompson said...

Thanks! It felt a little like that stage of play where kids are in parallel to each other but don't fully respond. I think couples often fall into that rut too. There did seem to be some very loose linkages, as if they were subconsciously influencing each other.