Thursday, April 10, 2014

a snowball's chance- found poetry, Day 10


unburdens self
 
I,
in
the
men’s
crazy-
making
 
(parents),
 
probably
separated
  

Source
Ulman, Howard. “UMass’ Gordon Unburdens Self, Garners Support.” Houston Chronicle 10 Apr. 2014: B1.
 
Note:

This is a snowball. It’s short, as they usually are. Both the original article and this poem dealt with issues around being a man, albeit very different lenses. This is the order the words appeared in the dictionary. I took some minor liberties with punctuation and spacing, but otherwise stuck with the task. The title is from the title and I imagine the point of confluence between article and poem.
  

Here is the prompt I was responding to:
 
This procedure requires the first word of a text to have only one letter, the second two, the third three, and so on as far as resourcefulness and inspiration allow. The first word of a snowball is normally a vowel: in English, a I or O.
From your newspaper, select a starting vowel and then continue adding words of increasing length from the same source article or passage. Challenge yourself further by only using words in order as you encounter them in the text.
 

3 comments:

Trish Hopkinson said...

Love this one!

beth said...

Nicely done. I'm noticing that a simple approach with this exercise works very well. You've done using few words.

Richard Thompson said...

Thanks! I am enjoying this way more than I thought I would.